What We Teach
We teach all levels…and specialize in teaching first-time riders, beginners and improvers.
- The basics of horse care, proper handling and grooming.
- The understanding of horse equipment and tacking up.
- The fundamentals of riding, correct mounting and dismounting techniques,
proper position and accurate aids for the utmost control.
- The essential patterns and exercises for both horse and rider.
- The principles of jumping, progressing from a basic position over a single jump
to mastering the art of riding a course.
- The skills needed to prepare and succeed at showing.
- Safety and self-confidence.
We pride ourselves here at Greyden in saying all our instructors have gone through years of courses through the recognized equine educational institutes and all our instructors have the certifications and/or training to teach you to ride.
We follow the Equine Canada Rider Level instruction guidelines and the C.H.A. (Association for Horsemanship Safety and Education) prerequisites.
Times Available for Lessons
Our riding lessons are available 12 months a year . We ride inside our indoor arena in the winter/rainy season, and outdoors in our 220′ x 220′ jumper ring in fair weather.
Our barn is heated in winter.
We teach Monday, Tuesday (reserved for private beginner lessons), Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings. Saturdays are reserved for:
- project/practice rides
- clinics – makeup lessons
- pre-show lessons and show prep afternoons
- our Little Rider’s Club (seasonal)
You will love to learn to ride with us.
Lesson Times and Skill Levels
5pm lessons – Beginner Riders under 18
6pm lessons – Advanced Beginner to Novice Riders
7pm lessons – Advanced Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced Riders
8pm lessons – Adults of all levels
Lesson Costs inclusive of HST
- Entry level, value-added program, 5pm group lessons (package of 4, $130)
- Group, 6pm and 7pm lessons (up to 6 riders, 1 hour duration) $43.50
- Semi-private (30 minutes); $43.50
- Private (30 minutes); $55
- Adult-only group lessons are available (package of 4, $130)
- We also have part and co-boarding opportunities for students in the school
Our typical approach for a rider entering our riding school is to require a 30-minute private lesson to assess the rider’s ability prior to admission into one of our regular lesson nights. This must be done in order to determine horse and ride-time suitability. Want to join the riding school at Greyden? We’d love to have you. Email us to book yourself in at email@example.com.
Please note: Complete and total beginner riders are required to have a minimum of 4 30-minute private lessons prior to beginning in the 5pm lesson spots to ensure the rider is at the ability level of riding at the walk and (some) trot unassisted. Following the 4 private lessons, an evaluation will take place to determine if the rider is ready to move to group, or may need further private lessons.
Please also note that our lesson program is full for beginners in group lessons until September (2021). However, you may begin your private lessons with us now. To get on the waiting list for our September roster, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Lessons run Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, with Tuesday evenings, 5-8:30pm reserved for entry level lessons starting Fall 2021.
Tuesday evening lessons are offered in blocks of 4. A package of 4 30-minute private lessons is $220 inclusive of hst. Our Tuesday evenings are now full until October 2021. Please email to get on the next intake. Don’t wait! Send your request in now to email@example.com